Collection and Use of Application Information
In Y Combinator applications, we collect Personal Data relating to founder(s) of the applicant company, such as names, email addresses, telephone numbers, education, employment history and the city/country in which they live, as well as information about the applicant company, such as the name, industry, and status of the company (together with Personal Data relating to founder(s) and any other information submitted in connection with the application process, “Application Information”).
We may use your Application Information for any Y Combinator-related purpose. This includes, without limitation:
- Compiling and publishing aggregated statistics regarding technology, companies, founders, industries, etc.
- Tracking applicants, founders, industries, companies and application trends.
Disclosure of Application Information
Subject to the exceptions described below, if your company submits an application to Y Combinator, we will not share your Application Information, other than for the purpose of evaluating your company’s application. When we share your Application Information for such evaluation purposes, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that those evaluators (whether within or outside of Y Combinator) agree to treat your Application Information confidentially.
We may also disclose your Application Information as set forth below:
- Service Providers: To assist us in meeting business operations needs and to perform certain services and functions, we may share Application Information with service providers. Pursuant to our instructions, these parties may access, process, or store Application Information in the course of providing services to us.
- Business Transfers: If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of service to another provider (collectively a “Transaction”), your Application Information may be shared in the diligence process with counterparties and others assisting with the Transaction and transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of that Transaction along with other assets.
- Legal Requirements: If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, (ii) protect and defend our rights or property, (iii) prevent fraud, (iv) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users, or the public, or (v) protect against legal liability.
General Information Included in Applications
Due to the large number of applications and related materials that we receive and review, and the similarity of much of the information provided in such applications, we cannot accept responsibility for protecting against misuse or disclosure of any general information, knowledge or other materials (including without limitation any information generally known in your industry) included in your Application Information. Any such general information or knowledge you submit to Y Combinator may be used or disclosed by us or any person with whom we share your application for any purpose and in any manner.
Security and Maintenance of Applications
You submit applications at your own risk. We implement commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and organizational measures to protect Application Information both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what Application Information you send to us.
After the application process has ended, we may retain your application and the information contained therein.
Update Your Application Information
Before you submit your application, you can update your Application Information by logging in and editing your application.
Y Combinator does not knowingly collect Personal Data, or accept applications, from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not submit any Application Information.
By submitting your application, you understand and acknowledge that your Application Information will be transferred from your location to our facilities and servers in the United States.